Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Team Beachbody Challenge

Beachbody.

We’ve all heard that name: They’re the creators of the most successful home Fitness programs out there.

We all know their products: P90x, Insanity, Slim in 6, Turbo Jam, etc.
I’m sure some of you have even tried them before. I’ve used the Turbo Jam program and absolutely loved it. It was the most fun I’d ever had working out at home. I loved the combination of kick boxing, Capoeira, and the dance moves. And of course, who can forget to mention the Spunky creator, Ms. Chalene Johnson!

I was recently re-introduced to the company through a Beachbody coach that I met through Facebook: Jen Hauke-Fit4yourlife. I loved her daily motivation and tips and I eventually tried out one of her private wellness/fitness groups. She helped me break through a plateau I’d hit and got stuck at for a few months. After finishing the group, Jen asked me if I’d ever considered being a Beachbody coach and something in me decided that I would love to help others. I mean, isn’t that why I started classes at the Institute of Integrative Nutrition? Why yes, it is! This would be a perfect forum to get into the “health coach” mode before I graduated from school and apply the skills I was gaining along the way. Plus, I love the products.

I signed up for a challenge pack which included the Turbo Fire program and a monthly supply of Shakeology, the company’s meal replacement shake designed by the CEO of the company with help from some reputable colleagues in the nutrition world. The Beachbody website says this to describe the shake:

Shakeology uses a proprietary blend of digestive enzymes and prebiotics to gently and efficiently eliminate toxins. Then a combination of antioxidants, phytonutrients, adaptogens, and many other rare ingredients give your body the essential nutrients you can’t get from a normal diet. You get a salad bowl’s worth of fruits and vegetables in a single glass.

Whole-food ingredients—all-natural foods that still maintain the vitamins, minerals, and fiber often stripped from highly processed foods—deliver these nutrients to help your body shed stored fat and promote optimum health.

In laymen’s terms, they searched the world for the most nutritious superfood ingredients out there to develop this meal replacement shake. There are over 23 vitamins and minerals that our bodies crave and need to function at an optimal level. Most of us, with our diets full of processed foods, barely get enough through the foods we eat on a daily basis. It’s designed to improve digestion and regularity, reduce cravings, increase energy and stamina, help you lose weight, improve your mental clarity, reduce your risk for heart disease, high blood pressure and arthritis, it will help lower cholesterol and has beneficial effects on your skin, hair and nails. At least that’s what they found in a 90 day research study with people who replaced only one meal a day with Shakeology. I decided to give it a try.

What I like about it is that I don’t have to think. I’m not the best breakfast person even though I know how important the meal really is. Every now and then I’ll take the time to make myself eggs, either an omelet of some sort or egg whites, but that’s about it. I don’t eat cereal, I have to force myself to eat oatmeal, and I don’t like sweet breakfast foods like pancakes or French toast. So I tend to skip this important meal. Not anymore. I haven’t missed breakfast once since I started making the Shakeology for myself every morning.

I get up, throw a scoop into the blender with 8 oz (1 cup) of water, 5 or 6 ice cubes and blend until smooth. I even find myself craving the shake throughout the day. I’m satisfied until lunch time and have been having fun with adding different things to the shake to change its flavor.  The first two days I experimented with making it with milk and then with water. I didn’t notice a change in the consistency between the two and decided that I’d rather not waste the calories on the milk, especially since I have a sensitivity to dairy. I’ve added different fruit to my shake such as strawberries, blueberries and banana. I’ve also tried peanut butter, almond butter and instant coffee grounds. My favorite combination so far has been adding 1 tbsp peanut butter and 1 small banana to my chocolate shake and creating what Shakeology calls a Chocolate Banana Nutter. In the words of Rachael Ray: Yum-O!

So here’s the deal: In the past 2 weeks I’ve seen an increase in energy, I’ve stopped eating as late in the day because I’m getting a jump on my eating in the morning which I wasn’t doing before, I’m not hitting that mid morning slump anymore, I’m making healthier choices throughout the day because I’ve started my morning right, I’m not having the sweets cravings I used to because I’m getting my chocolate fix first thing in the morning, I’ve noticed changes in my digestion and all of that is on top of losing 3lbs!!!!!

I have to admit I was skeptical of Shakeology. I’ve tried other powdered drink mixes: Carnation Instant Breakfast, Slim Fast, and IsaLean and wasn’t impressed. I thought Shakeology would be just like them. I’m happy I was wrong. Looks like I won’t be taking advantage of the 30 day money back guarantee.

I’m also going to be starting the Turbo Fire Program and telling you all about it in weekly posts. The program is designed to be done in a 90 day period of time and includes a nutrition component. I’ll be working on that post very soon, so keep your eyes peeled!

If you’d like more information on Shakeology and the Beachbody products please contact me either through my Beachbody Coach page: Beachbodycoach.com/Betsey55 Email me at ejwesson55@gmail.com or through my Facebook page at So She Runs: A journey to be fit.

Fondly,

Betsey

No comments:

Post a Comment