Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Go ahead, Unplug and Recharge. You Know you Wanna.

I just got back from spending an amazing long weekend in Pensacola, FL. Alone. Yup, that’s right, I said A-L-O-N-E.

No beautiful baby girl clinging to me. No screaming for popsicles. No pinching the inside of my arm with ever sharp tiny fingernails. No cutting up food into itty bitty pieces. No diaper bag to pack with endless odds and ends. No stroller going through the airport. No extra time in security or having to dump the liquids in toddler cups in my carryon because I forgot. No willing my child not to make any noise on the plane so as not to disturb the other passengers on the plane and get thrown off the flight.  
No dogs barking. No cooking three different meals so everyone has something they like to eat. No making my bed because someone else did it for me. No being obligated to take care of everyone else because I only had to worry about myself. No keeping up with Facebook. Or email. Or even text messages for that matter. I unplugged from cyber world and let myself get caught up in the sound of the crashing waves instead of the annoyance of the crashing internet. I relished swimming in the ocean instead of through a sea of endless laundry.

I got to order what I wanted and not worry about price because I was only paying for one meal. I got to lie on the beach for hours in the warm sunshine and the cool ocean breeze because it was what I wanted to do. I got to go at my own pace; there was no schedule to keep. I got to stay out late. I got to sleep in late. I got to stretch diagonally across the bed and move to a cool spot without running into anyone when I got to hot under the covers. I got to live in a bathing suit. I got to socialize with friendly strangers and make new friends on the shuttle bus. I got to go on the Farris wheel at night and look at the stars. I got to wander through the National Naval Aviation Museum without anyone rushing me. I got to read, and read, and read some more. I got to eat mountains of fresh seafood: Raw oysters (full of good-for-you zinc), Gulf shrimp boiled in Old Bay seasoning, Grouper and blackened Trigger fish, Mahi Mahi and grilled crab cakes.
 It was absolutely delightful.

I left in the morning on August 3rd and stayed in down town Pensacola, about 10-15 minutes from the beach. I had amazing food, was able to relax and lived in my bikini basking in the glorious sunshine. Now don’t get me wrong, I’m thankful for everything I have in my life. But let me tell you, it was lovely to be able to enjoy the peace and quiet of my hotel room and the warmth of the beautiful sunshine all on my own. I came home on the 6th to my smiling Baby screaming “Mommy!” and all is well.
If you’ve never gone on a vacation by yourself, I highly recommend it. I got to Unplug. I got to recharge. For that, I’m grateful.

 
Now, on to the next ;)

Fondly,

Betsey

No comments:

Post a Comment